The scientific contribution of La Statale (the University of Milan) to Expo 2015 is many-faceted. For the Universal Exposition in Milan, our University has conducted the scientific projects regarding the “Cereals and tubers” cluster and the Biodiversity Park.
Apart from in the specific exhibition pavilions, at Expo Milan the 145 participating countries are also hosted in clusters – common areas that bring countries together based on thematic subjects and food chains.
The realization of these pavilions has been entrusted to Lombardy’s top academic institutions and subdivided into reference products or cultivation climates: “Rice”, “Coffee”, “Cocoa and chocolate”, “Cereals and tubers”, “Fruit and legumes”, “Spices”, “Bio-Mediterranean”, “Islands, sea and food”, “Arid zones”.
Our University was invited to present the cultural contents of the “Cereals and tubers” cluster, hosting 6 countries for which these products represent a fundamental element of both diet and socio-economic status.
The University of Milan also prepared the Biodiversity Park, an exhibition area dealing with the fundamental issues related to the variety of life on Earth at all levels, from genes to eco-regions, in connection with the ecological and evolutionary processes through which biodiversity develops. The agricultural park illustrates the specificities of agro-biodiversity and, with meetings, seminars and debates throughout the whole duration of Expo 2015, provides an opportunity to discover an extremely interesting variety of topics.
In addition to these scientific projects, our University has chosen to present a series of projects and events within the framework of “La Statale for Expo”, highlighting the specific features of our University’s research and teaching in relation to the themes of the Universal Exposition.
Considering the vast number of visitors expected in the city of Milan in this period, it seems appropriate to valorize the historic buildings of the University of Milan (“La Statale”), especially Ca’ Granda, which houses the University’s headquarters. This ancient hospital for the poor, known by the Milanese as Ca’ Granda (large house), was founded in 1456 by the Duke of Milan; following major renovation work after the bombing of 1943, La Statale moved into the complex in 1958.
La Statale per Expo 2019